A person injured after an explosion outside Cambridge Stihl Shop early Thursday morning was “very lucky” to return to work on Friday, a colleague has said.
Fire and Emergency New Zealand said a 44 gallon (200 litre) drum exploded just after 8am on Thursday.
A Hato Hone St John spokesperson told The News an ambulance arrived at the scene at 8.15am.
Ambulance staff treated one person for “minor injuries”, but they were not taken to hospital.
RNZ reported one of its journalists at the scene was told a worker was cutting the top from a large oil drum when it ignited, blowing the lid off.
A colleague of the injured person told RNZ they were “very lucky”.
Fire and Emergency said the resulting fire was out by the time its crew arrived at the shop on the corner of Victoria and Commerce streets.
Stihl Shop staff did not want to comment when The News visited on Friday.
The News reporter Jeremy Smith, who lives nearby, heard and felt the explosion.
“It just sounded like a large boom,” he said.
“I live in a second-floor apartment and I thought for a moment something had hit my building.”