Sports trust opens new round of funding

A new funding round through The Perago Trust opens on next Thursday, offering support to talented athletes and breathing new life into the Trust after a year’s hiatus due to Covid-19.

The Trust has invested almost $150,000 in assisting 50 young sportsmen and women over the past decade, many of whom have gone on to make a career in their chosen sport. Among its beneficiaries are Micah Wilkinson, who won a world title in sailing, cycling’s Commonwealth Games medallist Sam Gaze, and international cricketer Tim Siefert.

In 2012, Cambridge sporting personalities Jake Moreland and Kevin Burgess recognised the need for gifted young local athletes to receive extra assistance in funding and on-going support in their journey to achieving at national, and hopefully international, level in their chosen sport.

They formed The Perago Trust, selecting trustees for their expertise and experience in the areas of accounting, sports management, sporting achievement, business management, health and wellbeing.

With Sir Patrick Hogan as Patron, and Sarah Ulmer and Rob Waddell as ambassadors, the trustees have been well-supported by local and national sporting organisations, businesses and the wider community.

Trustee Merv Ebbett said that like many organisations, The Perago Trust had been forced into hibernation due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

“Fortunately, supporters of the Trust have continued with their contributions. This allows us to call for funding applications from hard-working young local athletes who have kept up their training programmes throughout this unusual 12 months. The funding round opens on April 1.”

The criteria, set by the Trust, for athletes applying for assistance includes winning national titles, showing potential to excel at international level, demonstrating commitment to their sport with specific goals, and they should be considered as an athlete with potential by their national body.

Founder and trustee Jake Moreland said it was a relief to be able to resume after the hiatus caused by Covid-19.

“There are still young men and women incurring huge costs in their chosen sport, usually funded by the bank of mum and dad,” he said.

“With the new round of funding opening on April 1, we are calling for people to get their applications in.”

Jake said the Trust was usually inundated with funding applications. “In the event of that, we weight our selection to those athletes with a strong connection with Cambridge, principally because we get most of our support through local people.”

For more details go to www.peragotrust.org.nz.

More Recent News

Waipā sticks with Wednesdays

Friday will not become the new Wednesday at Waipā District Council this side of Christmas. The council held its first two meetings of the triennium on a Friday, and councillors voting at the second to…

Koi fishing challenge

Predator Free Te Awamutu and Pirongia is  encouraging youngsters to catch pest fish for the 2026 Kids’ Koi Carp Challenge. “The idea is to bring awareness and improve the state of our Mangapiko Stream and…

Christmas cheer for seniors

An annual initiative that eases the loneliness of people who will spend Christmas Day without family was launched earlier this month. Now into its third year, the Altrusa International Cambridge’s ‘Be a Santa to a…

Board to give council a steer

Cambridge Community Board chair Charlotte FitzPatrick is looking to bring next month’s meeting forward for members to discuss a trio of draft problem statements relating to Cambridge Connections. Waipā District Council’s Strategic Planning and Policy…