Pet owner warning over rat poison

Sharon Barnett’s cats Angus, Willow and Ebony.

Treatment for one Cambridge cat continues this week after potentially ingesting poison.

Sharon Barnett took all three of her cats to the Cambridge Pet Vets after finding a piece of rat bait had been brought in through the cat flap, and appeared to have been chewed.

Following three weeks of twice-daily vitamin K treatments blood test results on Monday gave the all clear for Willow and Ebony, but Angus will need to continue his treatment for another week, with another blood test scheduled for next week.

Owner Sharon wanted to warn other residents of the dangers and responsibility around using rat bait, hoping the experience will remind others to follow proper set up when using rat poison, so that the bait is not accessible to cats, dogs or children.

Most safety guidelines recommend using bait stations, so only mice and rats can reach the bait.

“I really just want to warn people to be aware, and take care when handling and setting out rat bait,” she said. “Thankfully there weren’t any young children in my house.”

More Recent News

Cover up comes early 

The annual display of blankets knitted by members of the local Operation Cover-Up team will take place next Thursday – almost a month earlier than usual. The July 7 display will be at the Cambridge…

Matariki goes off with a banger 

Cambridge Middle School normally treats students and their families to a traditional hangi feast at its Matariki open day – this year, thanks to Covid, it was a sausage sizzle. But although bangers in bread…

Fat Bottomed Girls bust butts for bowel cancer  

After doing her bit for breasts, Debra Jenkins has given bottoms a boost. Inspired by breakfast television presenter Jenny-May Clarkson, the big-hearted local has spent this month exercising to raise money for Bowel Cancer NZ….

Boxing for Ukraine

Many people who supported Rotary Cambridge’s recent Bookarama sale also donated to Rotary International’s ShelterBox Ukraine Emergency Appeal. An information desk and donation box positioned just inside the hall entrance alerted book enthusiasts to the…