Treatment for one Cambridge cat continues this week after potentially ingesting poison.
Sharon Barnett took all three of her cats to the Cambridge Pet Vets after finding a piece of rat bait had been brought in through the cat flap, and appeared to have been chewed.
Following three weeks of twice-daily vitamin K treatments blood test results on Monday gave the all clear for Willow and Ebony, but Angus will need to continue his treatment for another week, with another blood test scheduled for next week.
Owner Sharon wanted to warn other residents of the dangers and responsibility around using rat bait, hoping the experience will remind others to follow proper set up when using rat poison, so that the bait is not accessible to cats, dogs or children.
Most safety guidelines recommend using bait stations, so only mice and rats can reach the bait.
“I really just want to warn people to be aware, and take care when handling and setting out rat bait,” she said. “Thankfully there weren’t any young children in my house.”