Speedsters among nation’s best

From left, William Pluck, Harry Pluck, Jack Hazelden and Van Hazelden with their trophies, plates and winning T-shirts from the New Zealand Mini Motocross Championships.

Cambridge Primary School now boasts four podium-finishing motocross riders including two national champions following the New Zealand Mini Motocross Championships.

Over 200 riders from Whangarei to Invercargill travelled to the October 6 – 7 competition in Porirua, where brothers William and Harry Pluck took out the number one titles in their divisions – the 7-11 year olds trail class for William and 6-8 year olds trail class for Harry – and brothers Jack and Van Hazelden finished second in the 6-8 trail class and third in the 4-5 trail class respectively – an awesome effort for the Cambridge Primary School quartet.

It was an especially fantastic result for William, who finished first in his division for the third year in a row – believed to be the first known achievement of its kind in the competition’s history. “Just being a part of nationals is awesome,” William said. “Even if you come last, it just feels really good being there at nationals.

“When it comes down to the end of the day it’s just about having fun.”

The modest 10 year old said it was thanks to his dad Terry and older brother Oscar for his fantastic result, crediting a good support crew as a key to doing so well. “We wouldn’t be here without Dad or Oscar, a big thanks to them,” he said.

William’s younger brother Harry also pulled of a repeat-success at the competition, winning his division for the second year running. “It’s a hard sport, you have to think fast,” Harry said. “When it comes down to the end of the day, just stay on the bike!”

Harry crashed twice during the competition, in the second and third of his five races, but wasn’t even phased. “I hurt the bike not me,” he said.

In a very close second place behind Harry was Jack Hazelden, who also happens to be in the same Year 2 class at Cambridge Primary School.

“Harry and Jack had a really good battle,” said Terry Pluck. “They went into the last race with even points, so after the whole weekend it came down to just one race.”

“I just liked being there,” Jack said of the experience at Nationals. “I liked that everyone gets a small prize and everyone goes out and plays hard.”

The Hazelden brothers’ achievements were also quite significant due to the fact that they only took up the sport in April of this year. And on top of that they both had the flu during the competition, even getting sick sometimes between races, but it didn’t deter them one bit. Five-year-old Van Hazelden did an excellent job in all of his races, shooting ahead of the pack at the start of every race and being the first one to reach the first corner. “He gets away pretty quick out of the blocks,” said Terry, who coaches the Cambridge Primary School mini motocross team.

The Pluck boys, along with their older brother Oscar have been racing for four years, and in that time have collected over 130 trophies, roughly 80 percent of which were first place finishes, the other 20 percent being podium finishes. Terry said they wished to thank all those who have supported them thus far, including the Cambridge and Te Awamutu motocross clubs, Craig and Keegan at the Cambridge Honda shop, major sponsor Steel Originals, and the parents, grandparents, family and supporters who have cheered them along the way. Jack added that he and Van wished to thank their dad, Leamington Meatpackers and Te Awamutu Honda Shop for all their support.

More Recent Sports

Rowers put on Karāpiro show 

Some of the country’s finest young rowers put on two days of outstanding racing on Lake Karāpiro last weekend. The regatta attracted a host of Waipā and Waikato rowing clubs and schools – and promising…

Courtney’s special target

Courtney Duncan’s build up to the Special Olympics National Summer Games in Hamilton couldn’t go much better. The swimmer turned powerlifter is setting personal bests with just a couple of weeks to go to the…

A Battle of the Bridge: Messam vs Watt

Hautapu and Leamington will go head-to-head in a corporate ‘fight night’ next month. The boxing event will be headlined by a matchup featuring  Hautapu’s former All Black forward Liam Messam. For the second time in…

Fresh fields for football

A $900,000 project to provide two more year-round pitches starts next week at the home of Cambridge football. The work will involve two fields to the north of the existing playing fields outside the northern…