Motorists were shocked to see a car on fire on Kaipaki Rd recently, but thankfully no one was hurt.
Cambridge News reader Paul Harris sent us this photo from the blaze on Thursday evening, September 6, reporting that the driver had pulled over just past the bridge, got out of the car and opened up the bonnet as smoke was billowing.
“I stopped and managed to get him to move well clear as I knew it was fruitless, even with my fire extinguisher on board thanks to good training,” Paul said.
“In his shocked state all he could do was watch. Thankfully we were able to keep traffic well clear.”
Emergency services were called, but by the time firefighters arrived the car was engulfed in flames.