The shooting of George Gilfillan

The sandstone memorial erected by the Armed Constabulary Force in the grounds of old St John’s Church in Te Awamutu. Photo: Mary Anne Gill

It may sound ghoulish, but a walk around graveyards can provide hours of mystery leading to the need for more research.

The wording on a headstone in the grounds of the Old St John’s Church in Te Awamutu is fading but the words Constable G.B. Gilfillan can still be seen.

The words after that –  “who was shot at Rangiawhia (Rangiaowhia) by a comrade on the 20 March, 1871” are less obvious.

So what happened to Constable Gilfillan?

According to a report in the New Zealand Herald on June 13, 1871 from the wilful murder trial of Thomas Pollok Muirhead at the Supreme Court in Auckland, George Bond Gilfillan and Muirhead, a fellow constable, were helping to load a dray in front of the blockhouse at Rangiaowhia.

Witness George Scholfield, also a constable, said he was at the dray when he heard a shot fired from inside.

Muirhead came out of the blockhouse with a musket in his hand and said: “I have done for him now; the traitor could not live.”

Scholfield rushed inside to find a bleeding Gilfillan kneeling on the floor with his hands to his left breast. Scholfield carried him to the guard bed with the assistance of another constable and cut open his shirt and waistcoat. The musket ball had passed out through his back.

Gilfillan knew he was dying and said he was bleeding internally. He asked Scholfield to write to his mother and said he wished he had been shot dead instantly rather than suffer. He died about an hour after he had been shot.

Muirhead was arrested and an inquest was heard the following day.

At the trial, evidence was heard that he was a heavy drinker and that he had been drinking and hallucinating the night before. Gilfillan, who had studied medicine, gave him 30 drops of laudanum (opium).

The next day Muirhead helped gather mushrooms before returning to shoot Gilfillan.

Muirhead was found guilty and condemned to death. A successful petition signed by many people in the district asked that his sentence be commuted to life imprisonment.

Constable Gilfillan’s sandstone memorial was erected by the Armed Constabulary Force in the St John’s Church graveyard.

What other mysteries lie in the grounds of old St John’s Church? Photo: Mary Anne Gill


More Recent News

Gin and bear it

It would be unfair to suggest that October’s frost which claimed over 90 per cent of Monavale Organic Blueberries’ crop turned the owners to drink. But in a way it did. Faced with a dire…

On the ladder to success 

Jimmy Cleaver is a 23-year-old farm manager who is passionate about his work in the dairy sector and looking after his team. “I went dairy farming because of the possibilities it offers me. Not many…

On home ground 

Dayna Rowe is into only her second season of managing a farm team, but she’s found her preferred approach. “It’s the way you develop your team, it’s the way you treat your team and really…

Remembering the days ….

Chances are if you attended Cambridge East Primary School between 1971 and 1976 and David Lloyd taught you, you are in retailing. Lloyd, founder of David’s Emporium in Hamilton, reels off a list of ex-students’…